Where Notre Dame football lands in Week 7 bowl projections
Notre Dame is firmly back in the conversation to qualify for a bowling match. The 3-2 Fighting Irish are halfway through the win column with seven regular season games to play.
Notre Dame has been a staple of bowl season for the past decade. The Irish have bowled one in 11 games over the past 12 seasons, with a 4-8 run in 2016 being the only exception. The head coach Marcus Freeman has the program pointed to a sixth straight bowl appearance.
Who would it be against? Several national experts released their predictions after week 6 of the 2022 list.
CBS Sports (Jerry Palm): Gator Bowl (December 30 in Orlando) against Florida (4-2, 1-2 SEC)
Athlon Sports (Steve Lassan): Gator Bowl vs. Florida
ESPN (Kyle Bonagura): Duke’s Mayo Bowl (December 30 in Charlotte) against Wisconsin (3-3, 1-2 BIG)
ESPN (Mark Schlabach): Gator Bowl vs. Florida
Sports news (Bill Bender): Duke’s Mao Bowl vs. Iowa (3-3, 1-2 BIG)
Action Network (Brett McMurphy): Cheez-It Bowl (December 29 in Orlando) against Texas (4-2, 2-1 Big 12)
USA Today (Erick Smith): Holiday Bowl (December 28 in San Diego) against Oregon (5-1, 3-0 Pac-12)
PROMOTION: Sign up for just $10 to unlock premium access until the start of the 2023 football season
• The popular choice for Notre Dame’s opponent is Florida in the Gator Bowl. The Irish haven’t played in the Gator Bowl since 2022. They haven’t played against Florida since beating the Gators 39-28 in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, 1992.
• The Duke’s Mayo Bowl was formerly known as the Belk Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl, Continental Tire Bowl and Queen City Bowl. Notre Dame never played there.
• Notre Dame played Wisconsin last year in the Shamrock Series. The Irish won in a runaway fourth quarter, 41-13. The Irish and Badgers hadn’t played before since 1964. Notre Dame is 9-6-2 against Wisconsin.
• Notre Dame is 13-8-3 against Iowa. Both programs have not played since October 5, 1968, a 51-28 victory for the Irish.
• The Cheez-It Bowl has had several different names, including the Camping World Bowl. Notre Dame won the Camping World Bowl, 33-9, over Iowa State in 2018. Florida State beat the Irish, 18-14, when the bowl was called the Champs Sports Bowl in 2011.
• Notre Dame is 9-3 against Texas. The Longhorns won the last game, 50-47, in double overtime in Austin on September 4, 2016.
• Notre Dame has never played in the Holiday Bowl.
• The Irish are 1-0-1 against Oregon. The two teams tied the last meeting in Eugene on October 23, 1982.